Buddhist World For All Being to be warmly welcome Here, Gift Men Seize Time And Work As Their Opportunity, They made Them Great And Crown

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

STEAVEN SEAGAL WHO IS A BUDDHIST






LIFE ISN'T THE BEST OR THE WORST!

In an interview with screenwriter Stanley Weiser, the martial arts expert and action film star Seagal speaks about his many years of Buddhist practice and his Buddhist teachers:

Were you introduced to Buddhism as an off-shoot of your martial arts discipline?

Well, to be honest with you I am not sure, I was born with a serious spiritual consciousness and for many years studied different paths. I went to Japan in the late sixties and began Zen sitting. I visited monasteries, studying Buddhism and receiving spiritual instruction. This was the beginning for me, the way I believed it should be --- the development of a physical man through martial arts and polishing the spiritual side simultaneously.

You also studied acupuncture?

Right. That was the way I was originally introduced to Tibetan Buddhism. There was a handful of lamas who had come over from Tibet. They were sick and had been tortured. Because I was studying acupuncture, I was asked to try to look after a couple of them, even though I didn't speak Tibetan. We were able to eventually communicate. I learned a little Tibetan and I became very close with them.

Who was your root guru?

Basically, for me His Holiness Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche was the greatest, and now I have a very strong devotion to Minling Trichen and His Holiness Penor Rinpoche.

Do you have memories of past lifetimes?


From the time that I started going to India and meditating I did start getting memories that were fairly unclear. Just a few days ago, I was sitting with a Lama and one of the things he said to me was that you have a very good imprint of many strong past lives, and therefore your realization will come more swiftly than some people's.

Of course, as you practice longer, you will develop some different powers. But none of them really matters. What matters is what you do with your life. I also don't believe it is very important who was in my last lives; I think it is important who I am in this life. 

And what I do in this life is only important if I can ease the suffering of others, make the world a better place, serve Buddha and mankind, and plant the seed of bodhicitta in people's hearts.

So has your practice been developing over a long period of time?
 
Oh, I have been doing serious meditation in my own pitiful way for probably (over) twenty-seven years.

When you became a movies star, how did that affect your ego? 
 Did it go out of control?

Even when I was in Japan, people tried to deify me, and the reason I left there was that deification is truly a death trap. That is a reason why I kept my spiritual practice to my self in America. I don't think deification has been one of my biggest problems in life because I am lucky enough to have understood a long time ago what adoration and power really are about. I think the great obstacle was just a luck of understanding of the way.


There is a Buddhist slogan which says, 
"Work with the greatest defilement first." 
What would you say is your greatest defilement?


Not really understanding the difference between desire for spiritual perfection for the benefit of all sentient beings, and feeding myself! This is where I was confused in my youth: I though that if I could spiritually feed myself to levels of great spiritual attainment then I could do greater things in the world and it would be good for me and foolish to realize that the basis we have to come from is first and foremost the benefit of all sentient beings. This was a great obstacle for me and it caused me great suffering.

Do you do prostrations?

Prostrations are my favorite thing in the universe. Right now I am just trying to simplify all of the exalted practices that are probably over my head, all of the tantras I have tried to learn, and I am jsut trying to concentrate on bodhicitta.
I am not a highly realized being, not a great Lama, and I don't have any great practice. I am just trying to get to first base and the most basic practice of a bodhisattva, including meditations and prayers.


In the busy movies life of chaos and uncertainty, where is your sense of equilibrium?
 
When you ask what gives me solace and eases samsara, it is Guru Ringpoche, the Lord Buddha and all the protectors.

What other projects are you spending time on?

I want to be able to feed the children who are starving and sick, including those with eye problems, in Tibet. Many of the monasteries are in need of help.

What do you do with all the unchecked anger that comes with working in this back-stabbing business. As a Buddhist, how do you deal with it?

I'm human--- when cut I bleed like everybody else. When this happens it is best to bring your problems into your practice. By overcoming anger, hurt and attachment we become stronger; you bring these before the Buddhas, before the protectors, and purify yourself.


Your screen persona is that of the noble tough guy protecting the innocent and terrorists. In the characters you play, you meet violence with violence. When you watch yourself on screen, how do you reconcile the carnage with the lifestyle of a man practicing compassion and non-violence?

Well, I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I think that art imitates life and its function should be a perfect and accurate interpretation of the way life really is, in all of its emanations. I am an artist trying to perfect his craft, but at the same time I do have feelings about violence. I was under a contract with Warner Brothers I could not get out of, and what they wanted me for was the male action films. Now that I'm out of that situation, this will enable me to do the kinds of films I would will lead people into contemplation and offer them joy.

Okey, last question. Acknowledging the inseparability of samsara and nirvana, what would you say the best thing about being Steaven Seagal is and what is the worst thing about being Steaven Seagal?

You know, I was sort of raised in Zen and I don't really look at my life in terms of best or worst.

I  was asking from a relative point of view.

The thing I am most grateful for is teachers who have allowed me to have the little bit knowledge and wisdom that is now keeping me breathing. I am grateful for the ability that I have on the screen to bring people happiness and joy and the ability that I will have in the future to hopefully bring people into the path of contemplation. In terms of worst things, I consider my worst enemies and my worst sufferings to be my greatest teachers, so there is always another side to these negative forces.

Copyright @ 2004 Shambhala Sun Magazine



No comments:

Post a Comment